Make sure you’ve read and understand these pages:
This project is focused on wrangling and analyzing data using pivot tables and complex formulas.
Part A Wrangle:
1. Scroll to “Movie_IMDB_Link” Column in the dataset. That column contains a URL string that we want to extract a specific variable from. Specifically we want to extract a specific range of characters (letters and numbers) that looks like “tt0499549” from every URL string. This is going to be a unique identifier for the table (primary key).
Each row can then be identified by this field.
Create a formula learned in class to extract the primary key from the “Movie_IMDB_Link” column into a new column (call that new column Primary Key and make it the first column dataset). Leave the “Movie_IMDB_Link” column untouched. Create a named range for the new column called “PrimaryKey”. Make sure you leave the formula that you created intact so that I can see your process.
2. Format the table as a table. Create named ranges for these columns: Director, Country, Gross (Gross Revenue), Budget and Title Year.
3. Copy and paste the new primary key column and the genres column into a new worksheet (call it the genre worksheet). Use an Excel feature to give each genre it’s own column: label the columns Genre1, Genre2, etc. Create a function that counts the number of movies that are described with at least 3 genres.
So if you have a single cell that has “Action, Comedy, Romance” it should now be:
Action | Comedy | Romance
Where | represents a new column.
4. Modify the movie_title column and remove the unique character that exists in the cell values.
5. Format the budget column in U.S. Dollars. Create a conditional formatting on the budget column. Use the best conditional formatting that shows the differences between the amounts in each cell.
5a. Scroll through the dataset, what do you notice? Is formatting the column as dollars an appropriate choice, why or why not? Explain.
Part B Analysis:
Q. Which countries produced the most number of movies?
6. Create another worksheet called “Countries”. Copy and paste a distinct listing of countries from the raw data. Use a formula learned in class to count the total number of movies made by the particular country, make sure to use the appropriate named range in your equation. Create another column called “Ranking by Count” and use a function learned in class to rank the countries by their respective count. Which Countries were in the top 5 based on quantity of movies produced?
Note: Do not use pivot tables.
Q. Which countries had the largest gross revenue and biggest movie budgets?
7. In the same Countries worksheet, use another formula learned in class to bring in the Total Gross Revenues and Total Budgets of all movies by country. Again make sure to use the appropriate named range in your equation. Create two additional columns called “Ranking by Gross Revenue” and “Ranking by Total Budget” and use a function learned in class to rank the countries by each measure respectively. Does the countries in your top 5 change from the total revenue versus the budget total?
7a. Describe the issue that is present in number 7 and describe how you would go about solving it.
Note: Do not use pivot tables.
Q. How many movies was each actor in?
8. In a new worksheet called “Actors”, create an unduplicated listing of all actors (from columns actor_1_name, actor_2_name, actor_3_name) in 1 column. Sort the column from A-Z. Use a function learned in class to count the total number of movies each actor appears in (regardless of whether they are in column they are in).
8a.Create a new column called “Flag” and write an equation that “Flags” the actor if they appeared in more than 25 films. Filter the table by this “flag”. Create another function learned in class to count the number of actors who appeared in 30 movies or more.
Note: Do not use pivot tables.
Q. How many movies did each director make by year within the US?
9. Use the pivot table feature in Excel to help you answer this problem.
In a new worksheet called “Directors”, create your pivot and filter it by: Year >= 2010 and Country = USA. Include the director_name as your first column and additional column names for each of the years from 2010 – 2015. Next bring in the Primary Key field (that you created in Step 1) as your value to be counted for each director in each year respectively. Create a Total column and Total row to sum the data accordingly.
Note: Do not use equations.
10. Create your own analysis with the data. Clearly describe the problem/question that you’re trying to address, show your work, and explain the answer that you derived at. And make sure the analysis is complex. It should not be something as simple as “the total number of movies in the dataset” or even the “total number of movies by year”. Make sure your analysis is more interesting and complicated than that. And make sure it’s not similar to one of the other problems in this project.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.