Compare two drug companies – Merck, a U.S. company, and Novartis, a Swiss company. The annual reports for these companies are attached. Download the two PDF files and save them to your computer. As you review these two 2016 annual reports, you will see some differences in presentation between the U.S. company and the Swiss company, because Merck uses U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Novartis uses International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). The companies present the same information, just in different formats.
You do not need to read every word in these two annual reports, but you should scan through them to see the different things reported. Then, answer the following questions and compute the following ratio and trend analysis for the two companies.
Prepare a 3 page narrative report (including exhibits) in Microsoft Word with at least 2 scholarly sources. You will embed Microsoft Excel spreadsheets with your calculations into your Word document. Follow the attached templates and answer each required item. When narrative explanation is required, use complete sentences in your paper and citations in APA format.
1. Find the balance sheet for each company (2016 Merck; Novartis PDF files above). Enter the following numbers for each company into the Excel template provided and explain in the narrative what these numbers tell you about the companies.
2. Find the income statement for each company (2016 Merck; Novartis PDF files above). Enter in the net income for each company from the income statement into the Excel template and discuss what this number tells you about the companies in the narrative.
3. For each company, find the statement of equity and locate the Retained Earnings (2016 Merck; Novartis PDF files above). Enter the number into the Excel template and discuss what this number tells you about each company in the narrative.
4. Using the Excel template calculate the ratios below for each company for 2016 and 2015. Note, some calculations will require you to go back to the 2014 statements when you are asked for an average (those have been provided also).
In the narrative compare the results of the two companies and discuss what these results indicate to you as a manager and how they may be used in decision making.
5. Prepare a common size trend analysis using the Excel template provided for each company from 2015 to 2016.
In the narrative discuss what these trends might indicate to you as a manager and how they can be used in decision making.
6. After using the two sets of financial statements to prepare the items above, discuss in the narrative any differences you see between the presentation of the two sets of reports. For example, what are the differences in the balance sheet presentation? The income statement? The statement of equity? The statement of cash flows? In your opinion, which set of statements do you find easier to work with as a manager for analysis and why?
How to submit this assignment
Submit your work in a Word document using the attached templates. Your Excel tables should be embedded in the Word document.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.