A response posting should be a minimum of one short paragraph. Word totals for these posts should be in the 75–150-word range. The goal of your response posts is to extend discussions already taking place or pose new possibilities or ideas not previously voiced. Your goal should be to motivate the group discussion and present a creative approach to the topic. Do not merely agree or disagree, repeating what a classmate stated or what you have already stated. Explain the ‘why or how’ with supporting evidence and concepts from the course material. Include in-text citations and associated reference within a reference list.
Discussions to respond to:
1. Fayol’s management theory of having a successful organization and successful management is directly correlated to the satisfaction and the motivation of their employees (Lumen Learning, 2020). Fayol’s management theory had a basis on organization and planning, but also takes the employee’s welfare into account. Both the humanistic management theories of Follet and Mayo have taken small influences of Fayol’s theory by a few of their principles, such as empowerment throughout the organization can foster an equality of importance between managers and employees and improving the social dynamics between management (Lumen Learning, 2020). Foyle’s management theory can be considered as the main influence on the adaptability in the workplace. Managers are encouraged to ensure that their employees are all well rounded that even with an absence of one employee, the work will still go on. Follet’s theory helped instill a sense of social responsibility by the employee to the workplace, recommending that there are times that vertical integration between employee and manager is sometimes not enough. Mayo’s theory is the most relatable to the workplace since to help motivate employees, it is better to foster a relationship with them, which can then create more constructive workplace.
Henry Gantt, Henri Fayol, and Elton Mayo’s management theories have been the most commonly encountered in the workplace. Henry Gantt’s theory is still used today in modern project management. It explains the basics of the end result and the steps and variables that one might encounter to get there. The manager’s role is to ensure that their employees will have the right tools that they will need to ensure that the end result is met. Fayol’s theory promoted the adaptability and flexibility of the workplace. Managers have the role of ensuring that their employees are well equipped to keep the job going even in the absence of other members. Mayo’s theory is one that is commonly used in the workplace due to its importance on improving social dynamics. Managers have the responsibility that the work dynamics between themselves and their subordinates maintain a healthy relationship so that productivity continues (Lumen Learning, 2020).
It can be argued that Frank and Lillian Gilbreth’s classic theory of the employee’s efficiency and welfare still has a big influence in today’s workplace. The study of ergonomics was birthed from the Gilbreth’s experiments and from there safety controls are implemented. Workplaces are always looking for ways to reduce possible hazards and increase efficiency and productivity (Lumen Learning, 2020). Using the basics of this theory, proposals to better engineering practices can be recommended to avoid any possible work-related incidents if it has been noticed that the processes that employees are conducting can result to some type of injury. This theory mostly correlates in manufacturing businesses where some employee’s duties consists of repetitive movements.
Taylor’s management theory on efficiency and productivity still lives on today’s businesses. There are some careers that require their employees to be subject matter experts and to have a linear duty. Manufacturing companies require their employees to do certain duties that are repetitive since their main focus is the production of their items, along with ensuring that the most efficient way of production is completed by their employees. In other business environments, there are hierarchies in project management. Although their duties may not consist of hard labor, there is still a clear distinction of who is planning and who is executing certain tasks.
Lumen Learning (2020). Principles of Management. Retrieved from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-principlesofmanagement/
2. Bureaucratic Management main focus are on organizations that operates rational. There are six characteristics that describes Bureaucratic. Hierarchical Management Structure, Division of Labor, Formal Selection Process, Career Orientation, Formal Rules and Regulations, and impersonality. Humanistic Management main focus is on pay roles, work schedules, and quotas, which build employee relations on the workforce. Scientific Management main position are focused on how the business being ran efficiently and productively.
Vertical Management has three levels of roles that consist of top-level managers, middle managers, first-line managers, and team leaders. Vertical Management focuses on the business that includes communicating between branches of operations of manufacturing, transportation, and construction of specific goals the organization is trying to meet, which follows under Bureaucratic Management (Bureaucratic Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.).
Top-level managers have different varieties of titles, executive officer (CEO), chief operations officer (COO), chief marketing officer (CMO), chief technology officer (CTO), and chief financial officer (CFO). Middle Managers are considered the chief, director, and department head. Middle Managers make sure that all job performance meets the demands of top managers by help supporting employees within the organization. First-line Managers work closely with employees, which is known as, “on the line” workers. The First Manager’s roles are to make sure that all internal issues and problems with the organization are solved. These theories are depicted in the workplace by planning, controlling, organizing, and leading management processes (Bureaucratic Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.).
One of the classical theories is Humanistic Management. Humanistic Management is relevant in business today, by engaging in and establishing interpersonal relationships between employees which is important for all workers to have some standards (Humanistic Management | Principles of Management, (n.d.).
Taylor’s theory is applicable in today’s business environment by establishing core principles that include tasks that determine the best way to perform duties on the job (Scientific Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.).
· Bureaucratic Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.). Retrieved October 22, 2020, from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-principlesofmanagement/chapter/reading-bureaucratic-management/
· Humanistic Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.). Retrieved October 22, 2020, from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-principlesofmanagement/chapter/reading-humanistic-management/
· Scientific Management | Principles of Management. (n.d.). Retrieved October 22, 2020, from https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wmopen-principlesofmanagement/chapter/scientific-management/
· 3. The Scientific theory of management was considered ground breaking in terms of improving worker efficiency at his or her job. While there are three very different classical organizational theories (Scientific, Bureaucratic, and Humanistic), scientific theory focuses on how a business can improve the worker by controlling and improving how a specific job is completed (Lumen Learning, Scientific Management, n.d.). However, when comparing Scientific Management with both Bureaucratic and Humanistic, it can be determined that each has its own focus on different aspects of a business/organization. While Scientific focuses efficiency of workers to improve production giving very little regards to social relationships of workers and management which is a key point of Humanistic management theory (Lumen Learning, Scientific Management/Humanistic Management, n.d.). Scientific and Humanistic management focus on the inner working of a business/organization on two different fronts, Bureaucratic Management takes it a step further by looking at improvement at the aspect of an entire organization/business, instead of one area such as worker proficiency and social relationships of workers and management((Lumen Learning, Bureaucratic Management n.d).
Between the three theories of management, the role of the manager is drastically different. In the scientific management role of a manager is to ensure workers are receiving training that contributes to the maximum efficiency of one specific job that is completed by a specific worker to ensure maximum productivity is being achieved (Lumen Learning, Scientific Management, n.d). However, the role of the manager in Humanistic management theory, steers from a controlled environment of how a worker completes a certain task and moves towards improving working relations/environment in which workers reside; encouraging strong working cohesion of management and workers (Lumen Learning, Humanistic Management, n.d). Both roles of managers of Scientific and Humanistic defer in approach, Bureaucratic managers role can differ between what level of management they belong to. Bureaucratic management takes a hierarchy approach to an organization setting a presidency of importance based on level of management of which a manager is at (Lumen Learning, Bureaucratic Management, n.d)
Parts of the Bureaucratic management theory are still relevant in modern business environments. This is very evident when taking a look at how businesses are structured in some fashion hierarchy which Max Weber called “Hierarchical Management Structure” (Lumen Learning, Bureaucratic Management, n.d). Depending on what level of management is being discussed, each level has answers to a high level creating a sense of authority which is very common in modern businesses and how they are structured (Lumen Learning, Bureaucratic Management, n.d).
· Fredrick Taylor proposed a theory of management that focused on efficiency and motion. Discuss whether Taylor’s theory is applicable in today’s business environment. Explain how or how not.
Fredrick Taylors Scientific theory of management about efficiency and motion is applicable in some modern businesses. This can be seen very clearly in the automotive industry, but not in full force. Majority of automotive factory workers are trained how to complete a task with the proper tools and motion to keep a steady flow of cars moving down the production line. This has also been applied to the automotive industry by implementing automated machines to increase maximum efficiency beyond the ability of workers, thus taking a modern approach to Fredrick Taylors theory of increasing efficiency and motion to achieve maximum productivity. (Lumen Learning, Scientific Management, n.d).
Lumen Learning. (n.d.). Principles of Management. Scientific Management. Available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Lumen Learning. (n.d.). Principles of Management. Humanistic Management. Available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Lumen Learning. (n.d.). Principles of Management. Bureaucratic Management. Available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.